Diabetes is a deadly disease – it is a silent killer as well as a crippling disease that possesses no complete cure. They say “you live with diabetes and you die with diabetes.” Still, one can surely control and limit the severity of this disease by managing his lifestyle and diet, as well as by religiously taking prescribed medications.
Your anti-diabetic medicines and supplements, besides regular exercise and healthy diet play a very critical role in how you cope with your diabetic life. At the same time, nature has bestowed us with some very useful herbs that can help in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels when combined with the above mentioned factors.
Ayurveda – a holistic healing system of medicine, having its origin in India, but now popular all over the world, also mentions some very useful herbs that can help in controlling blood sugar. These include:
- Turmeric: Contains a compound called curcumin which has shown to lower blood sugar levels.
- Onion: It contains an active compound called allicin, which may help in lowering blood sugar levels in those individuals suffering from Type II Diabetes.
- Gymnema Sylvestre: It decreases the absorption of sugar from the intestine, and may also increase the amount of insulin in the body
- Licorice root: Its active component known as glycyrrhizin has shown to be helpful in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
- Banaba leaf: It contains corosolic acid, which mimics the function of insulin by aiding the metabolism of glucose.
- Fenugreek seeds: It is shown to slow down absorption of sugars in the stomach and stimulate insulin.
- Guggul: Contains Guggulsterones & Guggulipid which are responsible for its beneficial properties to those suffering from Type II Diabetes.
- Indian gooseberry: It a natural source of chromium, a trace element which plays a vital role in glucose metabolism.
- Bitter melon: It helps in improving the efficiency of insulin in our body and also helps in improving our body’s metabolism.
The other herb which is becoming quite popular for its effectiveness in regulating blood sugar level is cinnamon. Recent research has shown that cinnamon bark extract can help in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels by stimulating pancreas to secrete more insulin and also increase the effectiveness of insulin.
Other nutrients which can help a diabetic in leading a healthier life include Cinnamon bark extract, Chromium, Vanadium, Nicotinamide, Magnesium, Vitamin E, B vitamins, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Methylcobalamin and Inositol.