Since the dawn of time, honey has been regarded as the “food of the Gods.” The Holy Scriptures of every major religion today speaks of it. In the Bible alone, the word “honey” is mentioned over 60 times depending on which version you read. John the Baptist survived in the wilderness on honey. (Matthew 3:4 “John’s clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey”) The Book of Wisdom mentions the health benefits of eating honey. (Proverbs 24:13 speaks of honey “My son, eat honey because it is good, and the honeycomb which is sweet to your taste”)
Does science support these biblical claims? The answer is “YES.” Here are some factual health benefits one can derive from pure honey:
1. Pure honey is a predigested food. It is the best alternative sweetener for many people who can’t digest plain cane sugar. The two main sugar ingredients in honey (fructose and glucose which are 80% of its composition) do not need to be broken down by the digestive system. Therefore, it is directly absorb into our bloodstream and is converted directly into energy.
2. Pure honey is rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals. The most common vitamins present in a pure honey are B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, chysin, pinonksin, vitamin c, catalase, pinocembrin, pantothenic acid and certain amino acids. Minerals are also found in pure honey include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. As an additional bonus, pure honey does not contain any traces of bad cholesterol.
3. Pure honey is a great source of home remedies for many kinds of disease and illnesses. These includes acne, asthma, arthritis, athlete foot, bad breath, burns, cholesterol, cough, constipation, dull skin, eczema, gum disease, hair loss, heartiness, insomnia, obesity, sinus, sleeplessness, stress, stomach ulcers and yeast infection.
4. Pure honey contains potassium salts. These salts act as moisturizers and in addition they kill germs and bacteria. Pure honey can sometimes be more effective in killing bacteria than some modern day antibiotics. This is because of is moisturizing properties. It helps draw excess fluid from the blood stream. Thus, it lowers blood pressure.
5. It is believed that Pure honey accelerates the body’s metabolism; if it is taken first thing in in the morning, on an empty stomach with lemon juice first thing in the morning it accelerates the body’s metabolism. This is because pure honey contains 22 amino acids and a varieties of minerals.accelerates the body’s metabolism (the ability of the body to burn energy). You can try this honey and lemon diet tip if you want to loose weight or speed up your sluggish metabolism.
6. Many beauticians recommend pure honey for a healthy glowing skin because of honey’s antioxidant properties appropriate for gentle cleansing and purifying effects to our skin. What’s more interesting is that this simple skin treatment only comes with one ingredient. You guessed it, pure honey. Simply apply a spoonful of honey on the face to form a mask, leave it for about 20 minutes and then rinse. This can be repeated a several times a week for a glowing skin complexion.
7. Pure honey as a natural remedy had been testified by many people to treat upset stomach and clear ulcers in the stomach from the root. By taking 1 tablespoon of raw honey with ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder on a daily basis.
8. Pure honey can also be use as a natural home remedy for cough which offers a safe and legitimate alternative to some of the over-the-counter drugs (especially dextromethorphan (DM)), which can occasionally causes severe side effects in children. This was proven by the study by researchers from Penn State College of Medicine, US in 2007 involving 105 children between 2 and 18 years old. It revealed that parents of children who received the honey rated their children’s sleep and symptoms as better. Please note that honey should not be given to children under 1 year because of a rare but serious risk of botulism.
9. Pure honey also has these other health benefits:
- Helps calm a severe hay fever attack by simply chewing on a honeycomb.
- Lotion made of bee propolis extract is an effective home remedy in getting rid of acne.
- Lemon juice mixed with pure honey in a glass of hot water help soothe a sore throat.
10. Pure honey, best of all, can be preserved indefinitely because of its antibacterial properties. Honey stains found in the ceramic vessels, found 170 kilometers west of Tbilisi are believed to be made by bees that buzzed around in Georgia 5,500 years ago. It surpassed the honey found in Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun’s tomb by some 2,000 years.